3/12/07

Midlife crisis? Not a chance.

Last week was the big 4-0 for Rob. We both took the day off to commemorate the occasion. I elected to make the day special by going to the hardware store. Twice.

My 40th was, in many respects, a completely normal day. But that doesn't mean it wasn't eventful in some smaller ways...

First thing in the morning, I got my first 5-miler in as a member of the master’s division. My plan is on track to someday become the world’s fastest geezer. I’m sitting in my spider hole, waiting out the rest of my age group to blow out their knees, finally realize that running is stupid, or just croak. Then I will be the last one standing. Style tip to self: Go for sleeves if your skin is covered in liver spots.

Midlife crisis #1: Bryn is feeling like she’s dodged a bullet since midlife crisis #1 did not involve acquiring something that either squeals, roars, or explodes. No, my midlife crisis was to purchase a big-ass Little Giant ladder. This opens up a new range of projects for me to putter around with. And I’m finding all of my off-color references to “the little giant” are enormously entertaining. To me, at least.

I’m feeling good today because we had a great weekend enjoying the early arrival of daylight savings time. I’m feeling smug too, since those poor suckers in Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, and Puerto Rico didn’t benefit from the extra 3 weeks of DST. Sweet revenge, folks.

Big Idea: This gets me thinking – shouldn’t we take this a step further and initiate “Monday Savings Time”. It’s simple. Turn back the clock an hour every Sunday night before you go to bed. You're loving life with that extra hour of sleep. Then on Monday afternoon at 4, turn the clock ahead an hour. Whaddya know - it's time to punch the clock? What are we waiting for?

Midlife crisis #2: I recently hit the new Nike Sumo 2 driver at the range. (You know, it’s that club that looks like a shoebox tied to a hockey stick.) When you hit the ball with that thing, it makes the strangest hollow knocking sound. Sort of like if you took a knuckle to the head of any member of the Bush Cabinet.

While the Sumo 2 was not for me, I felt like a new driver would be fair game for a little splurge on my 40th. So I’m sporting a new TaylorMade 580. Bryn lets out another “phew” as she dodges the bullet yet again.

No comments: