10/15/08

goodnight, moon.

Last night, after I'd showered and put on my jammies, I realized that the moon was full and bright and gorgeous, and so I went outside to have a look. Moon and I have quite a thing; Rob sends the moon to be with me while he's away, and I've always loved watching its changing phases, colors and position in the sky. (Last night was the full Hunter's Moon, if you're interested.)

I sat down in the driveway and had a chat with my friend Moon.

"Moon," I said, "I'm tired and stressed and feeling pressed for time and out of control. I'm too busy at work and I've been away from home too much.

"It's hard, Moon."

And Moon said, "You know, you really don't have it so bad. You have a husband you love, and a dog and family who love you in return. You're healthy. Your home is a haven, not a place of tension and anger. You have money in the bank and a roof over your head.

"Imagine if your home life were troubled or if you were sick or fearful of losing your job."

Moon said, "It's not really so hard."

"You're right, Moon," I said.

Today, Moon is not out and it all feels hard again.

Tonight, Moon. Let's talk again. Same time, same place.

1 comment:

Kara Gebhart Uhl said...

What a beautiful post. I found your blog through Sarah's blog. The moon was big and bold and beautiful again tonight. Hope you enjoyed it. Take care.