5/30/08

a wager.

We're frighteningly fond of the 70s XM radio station. Aside from rebroadcasts of vintage Casey Kasem AT40 shows from the 70s (what's not to love?), we've started listening to "70s on 7" with alarming frequency.

For me, this music is totally nostalgic, reminding me especially of rides in Mom's Olds Cutlass Convertible, particularly up Keystone Avenue from Grandma's to home, or from the Brookshire pool. It's a total time warp for me. Rob, however, missed that whole era of music, since that sort of music wasn't deemed particularly appropriate listening in his church-going household.

So tonight, a bottle and some change into the evening, ELO's "Don't Bring Me Down" comes on. I've always been convinced that the chorus goes, "Don't bring me down, Bruce." Rob was convinced that it was "Don't bring me down, Groos." Whatever.

We bet $20.

I lost.

Turns out, this is a prime example of my new favorite word, mondegreen. A mondegreen is a commonly misheard word or phrase. Like in "Blinded By the Light." You know what I'm talking about.

Crap. Now I owe Rob twenty bucks. And I'll never hear the end of it.

Oh, and by the way, these are like crack:

1 comment:

Emily Rockwood said...

Bryn I love, love, love the Blog. Your Grandma is loving being able to view it everyday now that I have a laptop!!!
I hope to have the chance to meet you next time you're in town!
-Emily Rockwood (Your Grandma's Friend)