5/26/08

recharging.



I came back from a super-dee-awesome HOW Conference with an empty gas tank, both mentally and physically. Which made conditions ripe for a cold to develop. Which it did.

I paid a quick visit to Carmel on my day off Friday for lunch with Grandma and Mom. It was great seeing both of them, and Mom's lunch was, natch, perfect.

We've made the most of this Memorial Day weekend, in spite of low energy and a scruffy throat on my part. Rob washed windows on Saturday (which no doubt foretold today's bit of rain). I sort of helped, but not really. But we put the screens in the front and side doors, and now the house is wide open to the warm humidity, which feels terrific. I hung in there for 9 holes today and put up a rather decent (for me) score of 41. We've made two morning trips to the Coffee Emporium, during both of which Wrigley scored dog biscuits. So it's all good.

We've been creative in the kitchen: Saturday, we did barbeque chicken and lime/thyme potato salad (my absolute fave), then finished with a slice of homemade pound cake topped with fresh local strawberries that'd spent some quality time in a bath of Cointreau. Last night, we marinated some scallops from Findlay Market in some fresh herbs, garlic and olive oil, then broiled them topped with buttered breadcrumbs. I reduced some orange juice, added chopped tomato and swirled in a bit of butter for a nice sauce. Yum. Tonight it's steak sandwiches and fresh asparagus.

No comments: