4/21/10

a chin on your knee.

As we work through the multiple layers of sadness this week and into the weeks and months to come, one thing that helps peel them away bitbybit is recalling all the fond memories we have of Wrigley—memories that we'll have forever. In keeping with one of my favorite childhood books, The Tenth Good Thing About Barney, we've been keeping a list of things we love about Wrigley. Needless to say, we're way past 10.

I will post that list when the time feels right.

What I miss most, right now at least, is his physical presence. The pawing at the back door when I come home. The chin on my knee as I'm eating. The "pffft" in my face as he stood by my side of the bed to wake me. Twiddling his ear, scratching his throat or chest or flank. The simple nearness of him.

He's still very near, in my heart. It's just that it's hard to reach inside and give my heart a good scratch.

1 comment:

Michelle Siegel said...

Wow. Haven't read your blog in awhile, and this is just awful news to see. I'm so, so sorry and very sad. Losing a wonderful petperson like Wrigley must be debilitating. I think it's good recovery to talk to him, and of course talk about him. It just helps. Thinking of you and better times. Take care.