3/3/09

today's yummy lunch.

Last week for lunch, I brought a tasty salad of farro, roasted butternut squash and red onion, spinach and goat cheese; the recipe from 101cookbooks. It was super delish ... but I quickly realized in the early afternoon that it lacked protein, and we know that a bit of protein goes a long way toward Keeping. Bryn. Awake.

So this week I resurrected a salad of my own concoction. It needs a clever name.

2 small boneless chicken breasts, poached and shredded (grilled or roasted would be good, too)
2 large carrots
1 large fennel bulb
pinch of caraway seed
generous handful of parsley, chopped very roughly
S & P
drizzle of olive oil
drizzle of rice wine vinegar

I thinly sliced the carrot and fennel on my mandoline, then tossed everything together; it makes 3 good-size lunch portions. The caraway is an unexpected flavor, and the rice wine vinegar is a bit less sharp than regular vinegar would be. This has it all: bright taste, crunch, color, protein, yumminess.

No comments: