3/30/08

miscellaneous goings on.

Well, the weather conspired to thwart our previous planting efforts, so yesterday Rob re-planted grass seed and I redid the lettuce/radishes/carrots that I'd planted in the vegetable bed two weeks ago. Cold weather and a ton of rain did not ideal germinating conditions make.

Friday was the annual Wine Fest, always a great time. (Things were a bit spinny when I went to bed.) We tasted a bunch of great wines, the standouts being:

Coppola Rubicon: Four Stars!!!
Hendry Primitivo: Three Stars!!!
Another Primitivo we liked: Layer Cake
Viognier Fest: Zaca Mesa, Bridlewood, Renwood
Domaine Chandon Petit Meunier: a Side Porch quaffer for sure
King Piniot Noir: Oregon Pinot strikes again (their Pinot Grigio was great, too)
Gallo Frei Ranch Cabernet
Four Vines Zinfandel

Right now, we've got a whole chicken seasoned and ready to go into the oven, per a recipe from Alice Waters' "The Art of Simple Food." My friend Sam Harrison was kind enough to send the book to me out of the blue last week, and I've enjoyed reading it (it's one of those rare read-able cookbooks) and look forward to cooking from it for years to come.

No comments: