6/24/07

the wayback machine.

Prompted by a bit of summer nostalgia (and a bit of wine) last night, I headed to the basement in search of some old Gnaw Bone Camp memorabilia. All of the ephemera from my grade school-through-college days is sorted and stuffed into a plastic bin under the basement stairs. I didn't manage to get down deep enough into the bin to find what I was originally after, because I came across some old letters from Rob at the top of the pile. We wrote each other weekly, sometimes several times a week, when we were dating and apart during our summer breaks. The letter that grabbed me had a return address of our first apartment: 2200 Madison Road, #17, Cincinnati -- with a parenthetical note that read, "OK, so I'm not living here yet, but I will be in a couple of days." Rob wrote about "the place" (which we called the apartment; technically, it wasn't OUR place) and about how much fun we were destined to have not just the next time I visited Cincinnati, but in all the years to come. We hadn't, at that point, talked outright about getting married, although it was just a few months before our engagement (I'll save that story for another post!) and we knew we wanted to spend forever together.

Rob was right: things ARE great in all the years to come.

No comments: